Wednesday 8 February 2012

Around the world; France.

As a self-confessed world traveller/travelaholic I thought I should make some posts on here about some of the divine places that I have been lucky enough to visit during my 16 years. I am fortunate enough to have parents who take me and my siblings overseas almost every year, to amazing places unlike anywhere I have ever been before.

One of my absolute favourite places that I have been to has to be France. It is such a beautiful country full of the most incredible little towns and the people are so nice. My favourite cities in France are Auxerre and of course, Paris.

Auxerre
Auxerre is a small, medieval town located in North-Central France. My family and I visited it when we were driving from Paris to Switzerland. It is the cutest little town I have ever been to! It is like some of the little towns in Tuscany, Italy which is all the more reason to love it! The locals, Auxerrois as they are known, were also incredibly kind and friendly which is always really nice when you are travelling in a foreign country. I definitely want to go back one day, preferably when I am fluent in French!



Paris
Paris was amazing too, but on another level. Paris is a big, busy city and the architecture is absolutely breathtaking. All the buildings are of a similar style and they are just beautiful. It was said that Hitler refused to bomb Paris during World War II because it was such a beautiful city, and once you have been there, you can totally understand where he is coming from. One of the things I noticed was that the Parisians dress very elegantly. They look classy no matter what, which makes it harder for the rest of us. No wonder it is a city celebrated for its fashion designers.

These are some of my favourite places in Paris:

Ladurée
Ladurée is a must-visit during your stay in Paris. Their macaroons are to die for! It is pretty popular so there may be a queue, but let me tell you that it is completely worth the wait! Even just being in the shop is amazing. Their deserts are so perfectly made, it is almost a shame to eat them. But luckily, they taste better than they look, if that is even possible. I highly advise getting some caramel, chocolate and raspberry macaroons, ils sont fabuleux!! You may gain a few kilos, but it is totally worth it! 


The Musée de Louvre
Located on the Right Bank of the Seine, the Louvre is pretty much in the heart of Paris. The building in itself is a work of art. It echos the architectural style of the city and therefore doesn't look out of place or like an eyesore. The art inside it is some of the most famous and most beautiful in the world. Some of the paintings and sculptures date back hundreds of years which is incredible to think that they are showcased today and people still want to see them. My favourite piece was the Victoire de Samothrace (Winged Victory of Samothrace). To me, it stood out from the rest and is by far my favourite piece of art ever. It is at the top of a staircase which is at the end of a hallway and from the second I saw it 500 metres away from me, I was drawn to it. It is so detailed and powerful. All you Audrey fans may recognise it from her movie Funny Face.




The Champs-Elysées
Perhaps one of the most well-known shopping streets in Paris, the Champs-Elysées does not disappoint. The street is full of life and all the shops are worth having a look at. The added bonus about the Champs-Elysées is the fact that the Arc de Triomphe is at the end. The Arc is definitely worth walking all the way down the street for. It is so intricately decorated and surprisingly bigger than you might expect. 




Et voilà, my favourite places in France! I highly recommend visiting these two cities if you are ever in France. I know that when I go back one day, these will be the first two cities I go to!

I hope you enjoyed my first travel post, it shall be the first of many!

Merci pour lire!
Bisous,


               Phoebe xo


(Note: none of the photos used belong to me. I therefore do not take credit for them)

No comments:

Post a Comment