Monday 16 April 2012

N is for New York


New York, aka The most amazing city on the planet! I have so much to say about this fabulous city!

Appropriately named 'The city that never sleeps', I remember being awake at about two in the morning just sitting by my window and looking down into the street below. There were so many cars and people out, and it was very noisy compared to most cities at two am. The lights, the sounds, the sights.. I love it all!

I have only been twice, but I know my way around Manhattan almost as well as I know my way around Sydney, which is very well, considering I live in Sydney!

New York is definitely one-of-a-kind. It has such a great vibe, and there is always so much to do. Here are a couple of noteworthy places that are worth a visit during your stay in the City:

- Fifth Avenue: My favourite street on the whole island! Fifth Avenue has such an amazing feel, even though it is always packed with people. I love all the shops along Fifth, and I would highly recommend it to any avid shoppers like me! I personally prefer the end closer to the park and Rockefeller Plaza, as I like the shops up there better. Make sure you stroll along Fifth at night if you are in New York around Christmas, the lights and decorations are phenomenal! F.A.O Schwartz and the Plaza are two places up near the Park that you simply must visit. F.A.O has got to be the most amazing toy store in the world, plus it has the giant piano which is so much fun, and the Paza is such an iconic and beautiful hotel. Make sure to go past Tiffany's to have an Audrey Hepburn moment, too!

- The MoMA: The Museum of Modern Art is a great gallery to visit. My family loved this gallery. I personally prefer more renaissance and classic style paintings but the I loved the art at the MoMA. It restored my faith in Modern Art, and now I love it!

- The Empire State Building: Once the tallest building in the world, the Empire State Building dominates the New York City skyline. It is definitely worth going to the top as the view of the city is breathtaking! You can see all the way to the end of the island.

- Greenwich Village: The Village is a lovely part of the island! My favourite part of the Village is Bleecker Street because it combines my two favourite things; Shopping and Cupcakes. The shops are fabulous. I got my amazing wallet from a tiny boutique there, as well as some gorgeous Steve Madden shoes, a bunch of accessories from Marc Jacobs, a Mulberry keyring and during my most recent visit, a gorgeous pair of red Prada sunglasses from Sunglass Hut! They are my life! The world famous Magnolia Bakery is also located on Bleecker Street, and even though there is usually a queue to get it, I definitely recommend a visit. The cupcakes are delicious! I have never tasted anything like them. They are heaven.

- The Flatiron District: I love this part of the city. The Flatiron Building is very well-known around the world, and as a lover of architecture, I simply had to visit it when I was last in the city. It is such a detailed and exquisite building. The area is also really cute as well.

- Union Square: Union Square was very quiet and calm when I was there last, partly because it was New Years Day and half the city was nursing hangovers, but the calm is how I will always remember it. It was really calm and peaceful, and Emma and I strolled around it for a while when our parents and brother were off elsewhere. My favourite memory of Union Square is that I almost got attacked by a squirrel. Emma and I were walking through the little park in the square when I saw a squirrel on one of the lawns. I got excited and stopped to take a photo of it to show my friend Winnie who loves squirrels. As I was taking the photo it kept creeping towards me. Naturally, I freaked out and tried to walk away as calmly as possible, while squealing that a squirrel was trying to chase me! A few people laughed at me and probably thought I was some stupid tourist, but hey, it was a bit of fun.

- Central Park: Central Park is an absolute must when you go to New York! It is a symbol of the city. I would recommend taking a horse-drawn carriage ride through the park, preferably around late afternoon as it is starting to get cold (Don't worry, there are blankets in the carriages so you won't freeze!). It is a lovely way to relax and the drivers are really lovely. They point out various note-worthy locations, such as rocks and benches where scenes from famous movies were filmed.

- Bryant Park: Perhaps my favourite park in the city, Bryant Park is beautiful. It is surrounded by little stalls and market-type shops which is beautiful. It has a Parisian feel to it, and reminded me of being on the Champs-Élysées in Paris.

There are obviously tonnes of other places to visit when in New York, but these are just a few of my favourites! If you have any others, leave them in my ask so I can check them out next time I'm in the city! All suggestions are appreciated!



1 comment:

  1. Sheesh, I live about a 12 hour drive (650ish miles) from NYC and have never been there!

    I'd want to see Ground Zero and also maybe see a show at Madison Square Gardens. That seems to be one ofthose places you will just never see everything.

    ReplyDelete