Monday 19 March 2012

Phoebe's perspective on being a girl.

Being a girl is a tough job, but someone has to do it. In my opinion, I much prefer being a girl rather than a boy, for the following reasons. They are pretty obvious reasons, but with my own personal opinion.

Fashion is what I love more than anything else in the world! It is so emotive and expressive and individual. Fashion can tell you a lot about a person, as well as reveal your personality and true self to others. Like loads of teenage girls all over the world, my life revolves around fashion. I love it, live it and breathe it. Girls have so much more variety when it comes to our fashion. We have two separate wardrobes; one for summer and one for winter. We also have so much more variety when it comes to the garments themselves. Tops, skirts, pants, dresses etc make choosing an outfit more enjoyable, but also relatively stressful. Do not even get me started on accessories, hair and make up possibilities! My personal favourite item of clothing would be a flowing, floor length ball gown with diamonds to accessorise. Not that I've ever worn that before, but one day I will. And it will be awesome.

I love the whole fangirl part of being a girl too. People call us crazy, but I much prefer the term dedicated. Only yesterday, I plastered my bedroom wall in photos of One Direction in order to win a competition. I swear I get more obsessed with them when I look at it! In true dedicated fangirl style, I have left it all on my walls. I regret nothing.

The whole aspect of being a housewife-slash-mom makes me love being a girl even more! I go to an elite all-girls private school in Sydney's eastern suburbs and they are constantly encouraging us to be our best, and to excel in our fields and all that jazz. In fact, I was once told that my school doesn't offer Food Tech is because, and I quote "Sceggs girls don't grow up to be housewives." I personally have very old fashioned values, and all I really want to do is become a housewife and a mom. Don't get me wrong, I am all for women in the workforce and all that, but it's not really something I desperately want for myself. I do aspire to go to university and graduate and get a good job that I love, but once I get married I want to settle down to raise my children.
I'm not a feminist and to quote the amazing Marilyn Monroe, "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." I don't really care if I am considered inferior to men, as long as people realise what I am capable of and don't treat me like women in the 1950's were treated, which was like complete idiots, then I'm happy.

The average life of a teenage girl is similar to an episode of Pretty Little Liars, well, minus the everyday murder and blackmail. Keeping secrets from those closest to us is almost second nature. I would be lying if I told you that I tell people everything going on in my life. There are even things I keep from my twin, who is the closest person in the world to me.

Just some general facts about us girls..

1. Opening up to people can be really hard for us, so if a girl ever pours her heart out to you, make sure you listen. It shows that she trusts you, and you shouldn't betray that trust.

2. Don't ever tell a girl that she is ugly or fat when you don't really mean it. Ever. I mean, it is probably the worst thing you can do to a girl. It is something that we may carry for a lifetime and can even lead to self harm and starvation. Think before you open your mouth.

3. Treat us right, or don't be surprised if one day we get up and leave you. A girl's heart is not a simple toy. You can't just break it and expect it to be put back together again overnight. It can take weeks, months, even years, for a girl's broken heart to heal.

4. It's not enough to just tell a girl that you love her. If you truly love her, prove it. Show her how much you love her and how much she truly means to you.

Through all of the bitching and the boy dramas, I still love being a girl and I wouldn't change it for the world!

Speaking from the heart,

No comments:

Post a Comment